Why Cast Iron Cookware Is Your Best Bet in the Kitchen
It is true that most people who love cooking, and those who cook professionally, all have their own preferences when it comes to the type of cookware they use. Most professional cooks use stainless steel because it is easy to clean and very hardy, but there are many different occasions when only the best cast iron cookware will do.
Different types of cooking will require different types of cookware. In the past, we used to associate cast iron cookware with large, black, heavy potjie pots and steak skillets. Technology has since revolutionised the creation of cast iron cookware, so the new types are now more stylish and sleek than ever! They are now more lightweight and also come in a variety of colours and finishes that will suit any kitchen.
Other reasons why professional and home cooks are loving cast iron cookware include the following:
- Toxin-free: Often, when cookware made from other types of metals, is used, the toxins contained in the metals or in the non-stick materials seep out into the food that is being cooked. In high heat, it can also produce fumes that may be toxic, which may lead to health risks. In a kitchen, the last thing you need is contamination by toxic substances, but if you stick to cast iron cookware, you can be assured that there will be no harmful toxins seeping from your cookware into your food.
- Extra iron: The only metal that may seep into your food while cooking with cast iron cookware is iron, and this could actually supplement your diet! Modern cast iron cookware is often coated in ceramic or other finishes, none of which will be in any way toxic.
- Easy to clean: As opposed to all the effort it used to take to clean heavy cast iron pots, the newer ranges are lighter and easier to clean. It is now easier than ever to lift food from the cast iron finishes, and taking care of your cookware by maintaining it according to advice from the manufacturer will ensure that it remains in good condition and easy to clean for decades.
- Long lasting: Cast iron is incredibly durable and can be used on a fire, inside an oven, on a hot stove, or any other type of heat source, including induction cookers. If you invest in a good set of cast iron cookware, it will last for decades, and it is often passed on from one generation to another.
- Effective heat distribution: One of the best pleasures you enjoy when cooking with cast iron cookware is that it distributes heat evenly throughout the vessel. This means that your food will remain the same temperature everywhere in the vessel and will cook evenly.
If you are in the market for some new cookware and cannot make up your mind about whether to go for stainless steel cookware or cast iron cookware, you should take a look at our fantastic new range of cast iron cookware at Snappy Chef. Give our team a call to find out more!