<< Go Back
APPLE AND PEAR MERINGUE PIE
Here is what you will need:
For the Crust:
- 1½ cups (375 ml) good quality muesli
- ¼ cup (60 ml) melted butter
- 10 ml ground cinnamon
For the Filling:
For the Meringue Topping:
- 4 60 g butter
- ½ cup (60 ml) brown sugar or honey
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and finely cubed
- 3 pears, peeled, cored and finely cubed
- ¼ cup seedless raisins
- 5 ml grated lemon rind
- 30 ml cake flour
- 5 ml cinnamon
- ½ cup (125 ml) cream or evaporated milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh full cream milk
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- 4 jumbo egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) castor sugar
Here is how to do it:
For the Crust:
- Mix crust ingredients and line bottom of a large 28cm porcelain flan or pie dish.
- Place in the fridge to firm.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan, add honey, apples, pears and raisins and stir-fry over high heat until fruit is nearly cooked and liquid forms a thick syrup.
*Snappy Chef: High-heat 1600W/200°C
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind, flour and cinnamon.
- Beat cream, milk, vanilla, salt and egg yolks together.
- Pour over fruit mixture in pan.
- Return pan to heat (a very low setting), stir and cook gently until custard mixture begins to set.
*Snappy Chef: Gently cook @ 200W/90°C
The Meringue Topping:
- Don’t overcook as it may curdle!!
- Pour filling over crumb crust, leave until luke warm. Set oven temperature to 180°C.
- Beat egg whites in a clean glass or stainless steel bowl, using an electric hand beater.
- Add lemon juice and beat until egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar, 15 ml at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon meringue mixture over filling.
- Spread meringue over filling and over edge of crumb crust to prevent it from shrinking away during baking.
- Fluff meringue with a flat spatula to form peaks. Bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes until golden on the outside, it will still be soft inside.
- Serve warm or cold.
There you have your Apple and Pear Meringue Pie that can serve up to 12 people
No Comments available.
Leave your comment below: